Grade 7-8 Teacher Manual
The Michigan Model for HealthTM Grade 7-8 Growing Up and Staying Healthy: Understanding HIV and Other STIs curriculum contains 10 lessons and teaches middle school students the knowledge and skills they need to avoid sexual behaviors that can damage their health and prevent them from reaching their full potential. The lessons emphasize active student participation, especially in developing and practicing skills and role-playing strategies for using those skills. Health topics include:
- Facts about sexually transmitted infections and ways to prevent them
- Behaviors that have no risk of transmitting infections and those that are risky
- Possible legal, financial, health, social, and emotional consequences of sexual activity
- Skills to communicate with family members and other trusted adults about sexual decisions and potential consequences
- Skills to set personal limits and communicate them to peers
- Skills to identify risky sexual situations and avoid or escape them
- The benefits and skills for remaining abstinence
- Methods for reducing the risk of sexually transmitted infections or pregnancy (abstinence-based option)
- Locating and assessing reliable sources of information
- Goal-setting and advocacy skills
The curriculum provides teachers with:
- fully scripted and user-friendly lesson plans to help teachers prepare to teach.
- lesson objectives and correlation with Michigan and National Health Education Standards, time and materials chart, preparation tasks, tips, and lesson procedure.
- teacher resources including streaming videos; student worksheets and pre-/post-assessments (Google and PDF); teacher keys, teacher references, family resource sheets, assessment rubrics and/or checklists (PDF and/or MS Word); and online resources such as PowerPoints.
Product purchasing options:
- Digital option sold individually. Includes a 2-year subscription length with unlimited curriculum curriculum updates and access to a web-based teacher manual and all online teacher resources.
- Print option provides teacher manual in a three-ring binder and teacher resource flash drive
- Support materials for the curriculum are purchased separately within a Grade 7-8 Support Materials HIV Kit or sold individually which includes posters, card sets, etc.
The Michigan Model for HealthTM (MMH) Grade 7-8 curriculum is an effective and evidence-based Tier 1 health education curriculum that addresses the major youth health risk behaviors identified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that contribute to the leading causes of death, disability, and social problems among youth in the U.S.
The Grade 7-8 curriculum is organized within five modules and covers the following six comprehensive health topics:
- Social & Emotional Health
- Nutrition & Physical Activity
- Tobacco & Vaping
- Alcohol & Other Drugs
- HIV/AIDS & Other STIs